Monday, November 3, 2008

Yes, Ma'am!

The other day I was browsing the toy section in Shopko with my three kids- which we do everytime we are in a store that has toys... and I saw an old acquaintance from junior high school. He was in the "Stoner" crowd- with long dark hair, etc. and I was more in the spastic crowd. I think he had a thing for me then, and he called me a few times just to chit chat.
Interesting.

That was 1991.

So here it is 2008 and I do a double take because he's looking at me with the "I know you..." expression. I say Hi, and he says,

"How you doin', Girrl?"

How you doin', Girrrl??? Wow, it's been a Long time since anyone called me Girl like that- with the little inflection at the end. Blaugh!!! I'm shopping with my Three Children! To top it off, he still had long dark hair- but a bald spot in back and an advanced receding hair line. Not hot. I don't care about the thinning hair (love you Tim!)- but don't hang onto the long locks. It had the makings of a great comb-over...

It used to bug me when people helping me at stores would call me Ma'am. I decided I must be getting really old- because I'd much rather be called Ma'am than Girrl!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

He sounds...interesting. I hate being called Ma'am. I have always been 'Miss' untill a couple of weeks ago. So young punk who didn't look old enough to drive called me ma'am. I had to call up Chad and ask him if I really looked that old! I still feel young, I want my outsides to match my insides.

joyce said...

ew! yuck!!
hey, thanks for picking up my boys today. I was stranded and I couldn't have walked either because Ian was asleep, plus all three wheels on the stroller are totally flat and ruined from a very evil sticker bush that we went through while trick or treating.
Not good!!!

Camille said...

That's funny. I bet he still thinks of you fondly and "planted" himself at that store just to see you and talk to you. Wait a minute I take that back, I bet he is at that toy department A LOT! Never go back there again!! and was that "girl" like "girrrlll" (rolling r's) or hey guhrl? It's important to know.

Shannon said...

Great story! Looks like you've still got "it". Tim better watch out.

Celeste said...

Well, now I'm disappointed that it was just "guhrl" and not the rolling r's in girrrrl... That would have definitely been more exciting!

Kimberly said...

When someone calls me Ma'am, I want to ask them if they think my purse is large enough for me to smack them over the head with... More than Ma'am... I greatly dislike Mrs. Story, if you want to talk to her call her at her home!!!

It is sad to see those people still living in the high life of high school.