Saturday, March 29, 2008

Nincompoop

It has been a very long time- since Megan was born- but I read a book! I've missed that! I read the Scarlet Pimpernel for the first time. I know, I know. It is a classic. How uncultured I must be, etc., etc. :) I loved it! For those of you who are also as "uncultured" as me, (hee hee), I will share my two favorite quotes. The first one is set as our heroine is being blackmailed. She says this to the man as he sets his terms for her to obey:

"I am only conscious of one hope, citoyen." (citizen)
"And that is?"
"That Satan, your master, will have need of you elsewhere, before the sun rises today."

You have to appreciate a woman who states it like it is! My very favorite passage is as she reflects on her husband, whom she has only been married to for about a year. Page 129:

"The face in the moonlight looked singularly earnest, and recalled to Marguerite's aching heart those happy days of courtship, before he had become the lazy nincompoop, the effete fop, whose life seemed spent in card and supper rooms."

Any book that uses the word "nincompoop" has my instant and complete admiration! I highly recommend it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Celeste...
I, too, have never read "Scarlet Pimpernel." I saw the movie in high school and liked it. Hmmm, maybe I should borrow the book from you! My very, very, very favorite classic book of all time is "Jane Eyre" and if you haven't read that one yet, then I feel sorry for you. But I have it if you want to borrow it.
It's such a challenge to read a book when you have babies at home... *sigh*
See you Sunday,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

yes, it's me again. I noticed you've read the Twilight series. I confess... I just finished Eclipse. Just curious what you thought about it...

joyce

Celeste said...

Well hello Joyce! I love Jane Eyre! She is also a woman after my own heart. As to the Twilight series, I could not put them down (just ask Tim...). They were very fun to read. You should definitely borrow The Scarlet Pimpernel.

the design boss said...

I am excited to read this book. I convinced my book club that we needed to include it in our reading list!! I look forward to being as cultured as you are!

Six-Pack Momma said...

I read Hop on Pop- that was a great read! Oh, and one of my favorites, Go Dogs, Go! Do you like my hat?

The Ormsby's said...

Sounds like I need to go buy this book. I think I need some culture in my life. I also could not put the Twilight books down. It drove Nathan crazy for 2 weeks while I read all three of them. Can't wait for the next.