Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Alec & Dawson Save The Day

Words that a mother loves to hear:
"Mom, there's water coming in the window and down the wall!"

This was our scene yesterday when our secondary water turned on and a pipe burst on the side of our house. Alec & his friend, Dawson, were the first to notice that water was pouring in the window well and running down the wall to the floor. Great. Tim's at work and I didn't know how to shut off the gushing water. I frantically call him, and finally get the water stopped, but the window well keeps filling up & everything is running to my basement floor. My mom just happens to come over right then, and runs home to get her shop vac. I grab mine, and together we pull out about 80 gallons of water. Fun times.
When I finally get back inside to survey the damage, I see that Alec & Dawson have grabbed all our beach towels and were trying to sop up the water on the floor.

Dawson: My dad's a firefighter. Water is his friend.

Me: Thanks Dawson.

So what do I give such great boys for saving our basement? Flarp Putty. Yep, the putty that makes great farting noises when you push it in the plastic container. They thought it was perfect!

Now, our basement is all in disarray- the couch is pulled out, the eliptical machine is in the middle of the room, the bookcase is emptied and moved out, the carpet is pulled up and fans are drying it. Lily says to me, "Wow, this looks nice!"

8 comments:

The Cherrys said...

Not again...it must be the area!!! Let me know if you need anything!

Holly said...

That is so not fun. I hope nothing gets too ruined. Good Luck.

The Ormsby's said...

AHHHH!! Thank goodness for the comic relief in you life. They're awesome! Let us know if you need any help . . .

Camille said...

That's awful! I would work hard too knowing that Flarp was the reward!

Melissa said...

So sorry that had to happen. I wouldn't know what to do if Chad wern't there to help me, so you did good :)

Kristen said...

Do you live a flood zone? How many times does your basement have to flood before the insurance company will let you have flood insurance? :) Thank heavens for your quick thinking, and the boys!

joyce said...

i am so so so so sorry! Seriously, that is horrible!

the design boss said...

Water can do so much damage so quickly. I am so sorry, I am glad that you caught it early.